Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Sri Lankan recipe found & posted for the Asian Forum's Green, Eggs & Ham 3/08 recipe swap. This looks FABULOUS!! Cook time is 'standing time'.
- 1 large cucumber (or 2 small green cucumbers)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and sliced
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, cut in paper-thin slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Peel cucumber and slice very thinly. Put in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Press out all liquid and if too salty, rinse with cold water. Drain well.
Made this exactly as stated as a thank-you for Help a Camera-less chef, #5. Wonderful recipe, so simple and tasty. I used an English (hothouse) cucumber, fresh lemon juice and coconut cream. The only red and green chilies I could get were extremely hot, but the hot, spiciness is so wonderfully contrasted with the cool, crisp vegies and coconut cream! The recipe seemed incomplete - after treating the cucumber as stated, I combined all the other ingredients and allowed them to infuse, chilled, for 6 hours. Have served this as a sambol with grilled sausages and as a relish with cold-meat sandwiches. I can imagine many uses for this 'cooling' yet 'spicy-hot' dish.