Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love this refreshing raita. It is my tweaked version from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking book. I serve it with every Indian meal I make. I could make a summer meal of it by dipping in parantha bread or pita. Mmm... Use more cayenne if you like a little more heat - has a pleasant spicy/cool mix. For some reason when I enter that it needs a 5" cucumber, it wants to say 5 cucumbers. So... I've listed as 1 cucumber below.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped plus sprig for garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, roasted in dry skillet until you can smell it
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix the yogurt and sour cream together. Add all the other ingredients and mix. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
I did make some amendments, but not to the spirit of the recipe. Used Greek yoghurt instead of standard yoghurt and sour cream; whole cumin seeds instead of ground; grated the cuke and drained most of the liquid. Didn't have any fresh mint so used a good pinch of dried, also added 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger. Let stand in the fridge for 2 hours and it was lovely with a rich curry.