Spicy Baked Chicken (From India) -- Masaledar Murghi
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 55mins
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne (see note above!!!)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine cumin, paprika, cayenne, turmeric, black pepper, salt, garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl and mix.
- Rub this mixture over the chicken pieces, including into flaps and along leg bones.
- Place the pieces in a shallow baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside (I refrigerate) for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C) and brush the tops of the chicken pieces with oil.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Turn the pieces over and bake another 25 minutes or until tender.
- Baste the chicken with drippings 3 or 4 times.
- If there is sauce remaining after baking (I say "if" because I've never done this part!), pour it into a small pot and boil until somewhat reduced.
- Arrange chicken on a platter and pour the reduced sauce over them.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was very good. I used only 1/2 tsp. salt based on the other reviewer's comment. It was a bit spicy (made it exactly as indicated) so next time I may have to lower the cayenne pepper a tad bit for my kids' benefit. I did not have time to marinate it so maybe that makes a difference. It came out great just applying it to the chicken and baking it immediately, though. The combination of spices is so healthy... I will definitely make this again. It was so simple and flavorful.