Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the 'Thursday' magazine, this recipe was submitted by Rajani Sankaran.
- 1⁄4 kg channa dal, washed and soaked
- 1⁄2 cup drumstick leaves or 1⁄2 cup mint leaf, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 kg cucumber, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup oil
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 onion
- 3 -5 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 8 green chilies
- Wash and cook the mint/drumstick leaves.
- In a separate pan, cook the cucumber with a little water.
- Once cooked, mash it well and keep aside.
- Grind the chana dal in a mixer.
- In a pan, heat a little oil.
- Fry the mashed cucumber in the oil.
- Add the chana dal and the cooked leaves.
- Mix well.
- Add the corriander leaves, salt, green chillies, curry leaves and garam masala.
- Mix well.
- Make equal-sized balls out of the above prepared mixture.
- In a flat pan, pour 1 tbsp.
- of oil.
- Add the flattened balls dusted in breadcrumbs (about 3 at a time).
- Remove from heat when the cutlet becomes golden brown.
- Drain excess oil on a clean kitchen napkin.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or any of your favourite chutney.
- As an option (I like it this way), stuff the patties inside your veggie burger and chew down!