Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Lean pork, fresh sweet potatoes, canned black beans and traditional Cuban flavors blend beautifully in your slow cooker to provide you with a healthy, easy weeknight meal that's special enough for company. If you are afraid of too much heat, use only one can of Rotel and substitute a can of diced tomatoes for the second can.
- 1 lb lean pork loin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans rotel, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 medium green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Add pork, sweet potatoes, Rotel, green pepper, black beans, garlic, orange juice, green onions, red onion, salt, cumin and pepper to slow cooker; cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours or on high setting for about 4 hours.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro and parsley; cover slow cooker and cook for 10 minutes more.
Really yummy! Savory, sour, a bit spicy and the little sweetness of the sweet potatoes really pulled it together. My only complaint was that it was a smidge more watery than I would've liked, but it's a small adjustment. I might add some tomato sauce to it.
Mine looked nothing like the photo posted and cooked as per instructions and it just didn't work for us.