Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from The Art of Hungarian Cooking. Posted for the Zaar World Tour. If you don't want to use brandy(or whiskey), sub apple juice.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brandy (or whiskey)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Add just enough of flour to egg yolks and sour cream to make a soft dough. Add sugar, salt, brandy and vinegar. Knead until smooth. Try not to use any more flour than necessary.
- Let dough rest about 3 minutes. Roll out very thin. Roll out on lightly floured board to about 1/8" thick. With a floured knife, cut into diamond shapes about 2" wide, 6" long. Make a 1" slit in center and pull one end through slit, twisting a little as you do it.
- Fry in veg. shortening(about 365*F.) to cover until light brown, turning once or twice to brown evenly; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar while still hot. Enjoy!