Recipe by Mirj
A great project to do with the kids.
Top Review by sunny sheila
I have got to tell you Mirj this has been so much fun to watch grow. Anyone trying this you do have to add the water(after the crystals are growing) very slow and carfull because it will melt the crystals.But they do grow back cus I did it wrong the first time. I found that if you have rocks sticking up about 1/2 way out of the mixture and drop a few drops of food coloring around it looks like ocean coral when it grows on the rocks.If you have very small kids(keep it up so they can't get it) and you have to let them know that it takes days to get pretty. I'm 48 and I found myself going over to look and see what it was doing alot. My teens are like so Mom are you going though your 2nd childhood...I say YUP watch me go.. But they like it too.I was thinking I may get a few more going..Thank for letting me know what to get Mirj...Alot of fun
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 6 tablespoons starch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon ammonia
- 6 tablespoons bluing
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine salt, bluing, water and ammonia.
- Pour over small pieces of rock or coal in a shallow GLASS or CHINA bowl.
- Drip food coloring on top if desire.
- Crystals will begin to grow soon.
- Add water occasionally to keep crystals growing.
- You'll probably want to place the dish on a tray or wooden board as crystals grow over the sides of the bowl.