Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
For ease and health crushed in the food processor with peels keeping nutrients from the skins. Tomato peels contribute a high concentration of the carotenoids found in tomatoes. The amount of carotenoids absorbed by human intestinal cells was much greater with tomato enriched with tomato peels compared to tomato without peels. The tomato skin also holds most of the flavonols (another family of phytochemicals that includes quercetin and kaempferol) as well. So to maximize the health properties of tomatoes, don't peel them if you can help it! Canned crushed tomatoes are ideal for use in soups, stews, salsas and casseroles. Basic made so you can kick it up any way at time of using. Seeds can be removed that is your choice. Home canned tomatoes, tomato juice, and diced or crushed tomatoes with liquid at the top and solids at the bottom is quite normal.
- 10 lbs plum tomatoes, washed, trimmed of blemishes, stems, rough chopped
- 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- pickling salt (optional)
- sugar (optional)
- Optional squeezing out the seeds and extra water before processing will produce thicker crushed tomatoes.
- Pulse 1 pound tomatoes at a time adding each to a large pot. This will draw off some juice. Continue heating the tomatoes, stirring to prevent burning. Bring to a boil and gradually add the remaining crushed tomatoes while stirring continually. Continue until all tomatoes are added. Then boil gently 5-10 minutes.
- (When canning tomatoes by themselves, it is recommended that acid should be added to lower the pH level. Helping adjust it`s pH value to 4.6 or lower by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid per pint of product. For quarts, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid. This may be done by adding directly to jars before filling.).
- Add lemon juice or citric acid to canning jars along with optional 1/2 teaspoon salt and optional sugar to taste, (if tomatoes are not to your sweetness) to each quart jar, if desired. Fill jars immediately with hot tomatoes, leaving ½-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim and screw threads and adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process in Boiling Water Bath Canner for.
- Pints 35 minutes
- Quarts 45 minutes covered with water by 1-2 inches.
- For the Boiling Water Bath method, process an additional minute for each 1000 feet in elevation. (i.e.) 5000 feet=5 additional minutes of processing time.
- Check seals after 12-24 hours. Any unsealed jars should be refrigerated and used within 2 weeks. Sealed jars can be stored on the pantry shelf for up to one year.