Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy pancakes with great flavor and texture--for seed lovers only! (Slightly adapted from a Bob's Red Mill recipe.)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds, raw and shelled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted pumpkin seeds, raw and shelled
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, whole
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, cornmeal, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and sunflower, pumpkin, and flax seeds.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted unsalted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and whisk until just combined.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over low-medium heat.
- Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter (per pancake) into hot skillet and cook until bubbles begin to appear on top, and bottom is golden brown; then flip pancake/s and cook until other side is also golden brown (adjusting heat as necessary to keep pancake/s from burning).
- Serve warm with maple syrup.