Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This salad is simply delish! I'm always asked for the recipe when I make it for potlocks. It's light and very tasty.
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 158.51 ml nestle carnation fat-free evaporated milk
- 78.07 ml orange juice
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 709.77 ml cooked chicken breasts, chopped, boneless, skinless
- 3 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 177.44 ml sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 311.84 g can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 head lettuce leaf
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan; gradually stir in evaporated milk, orange juice and egg.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until dressing just comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat. Cover; refrigerate until cool.
- Combine chicken, celery, nuts, dressing and green onion in large bowl.
- Gently stir in oranges.
- Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve over lettuce.
An excellent chicken salad. Flavors definitely develop as it cools in the fridge. I added a little lemon pepper, subbed regular milk for the evaporated milk and used leftover white and dark meat from a rotisserie chicken. This recipe would be great to serve for a bridal or baby shower. Made for Bevy Tag Sept 2008. THANKS for a great dinner.