Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My Oma & I combined her Nusskuchen recipe and my DD's egg-free diet to create this lovely, dense macaroon/biscotti-type dough. The original German "nutcake" recipe calls for no less than 7 eggs, which we substituted here w/7x 1 Tbsp flax : 3 Tbsp water. Our hesitation was replaced by an eagerness to "mach es noch ein mal!", which I've done tonight, this time taking the time to convert the European measurements. Enjoy!
- 103.53 ml ground flax seed
- 310.59 ml water (1/3 c. plus 1 T. plus 1 t.)
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 73.94 ml hot water (each T. just shy of a full T.)
- 551.25 ml ground almonds
- 236.59 ml flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 0.65 ml almond essence
- Whisk the first two ingredients together in a bowl and let stand at least 2-3 minutes before use.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the sugar & 5 T. hot water together in a large bowl for 2-3 minutes (to allow some of the sugar to "melt").
- Gradually add the flax mixture and all the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- If making as biscotti or chewy bars, grease and flour an 8x11" baking tin (as per kokeshi doll below) or a 10" round springform pan before adding the dough. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Remove promptly to a wire rack.
- If making as cookies or macaroons, grease and flour a cookie sheet before placing 1" balls of dough approximately 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Remove promptly to a wire rack.
- NB If you want these to be chewy, do not allow them to brown at the edges. Otherwise they will be as hard as hockey pucks!
- PS I preferred using my Bosch Kitchen Machine (the large bowl & dough hooks) to a hand mixer for this heavy batter.
Being vegan I'm so happy to have found this recipe. Macaroons are a favorite of mine and these are so good. I used whole spelt flour and unrefined sugar and they turned out perfect. My only complaint about this recipe is that it doesn't specify pan size if making bars, which is a pet peeve of mine. Giving the pan size should be a requirement for submitting a recipe. I used a glass 8 x 11 pan, sprayed with Pam and baked exactly 40 minutes. The edges are crispy and the middles chewy. Thanks for this great recipe.