Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Add this rub to a crown roast of pork for added flavour and stuff the roast with Caramelized Pear and Sage Stuffing. If you are serving this to dinner guests, garnish the bone tips with paper frills just before slicing the meat. Prep time includes making rub and gravy. Found this in the Food and Style Magazine
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (7 -8 lb) pork crown roast (about 12 ribs)
- 1 tablespoon butter (if necessary)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup port wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pear nectar or 1 cup apple juice
- salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, mix paprika, sage, salt. allspice with oil to form a paste.
- Place roast in pan and spread paste with hands over entire roast. Make sure you get the cut surfaces of the individual chops.
- Press some stuffing into centre cavity of roast (see Caramelized Pear and Sage Stuffing recipe) until it comes up to the top of the crown.
- Roast in oven at 325 F for 20 to 25 minutes per pound or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat registers 160 F (about 2 1/2 to 3 hours). Halfway through cooking time, shield stuffing and bone tips with a foil to prevent over browning.
- Using a wide lifter, transfer roast to platter, tent with foil and keep warm. Let stand for 10 minute before carving.
- To make gravy, place roasting pan over medium heat on stovetop. There should be 3 to 4 tbsp of fat in pan - drain off any excess fat or add a little butter if necessary.
- Whisk four into fat in pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in port and chicken stock and bring to boil, stirring up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Whisk in pear nectar until smooth.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- Pour through sieve into saucepan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Slice between ribs to serve pork chop.