Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
These muffins are a great high energy/fiber food that I loved to eat while in training for marathons/triathlons. They are definitely not gourmet but they taste good, are very low in fat and are a great diet food!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (whole wheat is the best)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- Pour cereal in a medium mixing bowl and pour milk over it to let cereal soften.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mash bananas with egg whites.
- Add banana mixture to cereal and mix well.
- Add cereal/banana mixture to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins.
- Bake 400°F for 18 minutes.
Well, there don't seem to be any marathons in my future but I hate coming in from a jog and feeling like I undid it for breakfast. I like to wait until at least lunch before I gain all the calories I just burned. These were good and I got to feel self rightous for eating them. Even better, the kids didn't like them so I didn't have to share. I might fool around with some spices and I think they would be good with some fruit butter (I'm thinking pumpkin butter for this time of year.)