Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a very nice spaghetti sauce that gives a yummy Italian smell to your whole house. I like to up the amount of each meat a little just because I'm a meat lover. This is popular with my husband because it does not contain any tomato paste as so many versions do. Thus it is less acidic, and easy on the taste buds. Serve this over hot cooked spaghetti accompanied by a tossed salad and garlic bread. Sorry, I don't know where this recipe came from.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, bulk suggested
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (petite cut suggested)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- In a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic, until the onions are softened and no pink remains in the meat. Drain well and reserve.
- In a -1/3 quart or larger crock pot combine the tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, drained mushrooms, green pepper, tapioca, and seasonings. Mix to blend well.
- Add the reserved meat mixture. Cook on LO heat for 8-10 hours or on HI heat for 4-5 hours. Discard the bay leaf. Serve over hot cooked spaghetti.