Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Bring your slow-cooker up to speed with this chunky, intensely flavored tomato sauce that is a fabulous whiff of Southern Italy. It's a little salty (from the kalamata olives), spicy (from the hot red peppers and cayenne pepper), quite fragrant (with large amounts of fresh garlic and ripe tomatoes), and surprisingly different (with the addition of shrimp). The slow-simmer cooking process allows each ingredient's flavor to burst through. This is a marinara sauce to choose when you want to bring the traditional flavor of Italy to your dining table. NOTE: This recipe will make 2 meals at once - 1 for now AND 1 for later.
- 3 (2381.35 g) can crushed plum tomatoes, with juice
- 78.07 ml tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37 ml capers, drained
- 44.37 ml dry white wine
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 59.14 ml flat-leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 44.37 ml fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 118.29 ml kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- 118.29 ml mushroom, sliced
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59 g frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and devained
- 453.59 g linguine, piccole cooked to al dente (long, thin pasta)
- italian crusty bread, for dipping in the sauce
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or romano cheese, for passing
- In crock-pot (4-6 quart) combine the first fourteen (14) ingredients; give a good stir.
- Cover and cook: LOW HEAT SETTING - 8 to 10 hours or HIGH HEAT SETTING - 4 to 5 hours.
- When finished cooking, remove half of the marinara sauce (approximatel 5 1/2 cups) and refrigerate (up to 3 days) or freeze (up to 3 months).
- If set to LOW HEAT, turn the crock-pot up to HIGH HEAT setting. Add the shrimp; stir into the marinara sauce. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until shrimp are heated through.
- In a warm serving bowl, place the cooked and drained pasta, add the sauce, and toss thoroughly. Serve with a simple leafy green salad dressed with oil and vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Now, sit down to a delicious and authentic Italian meal. Pass the red wine, crusty italian bread and grated cheese around the table - Stand back and wait for the cheers!