Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My 8 year old races go karts. When racing season is in, we enjoy a crock pot meal every Saturday at the track. This is one of my family's favorites.
- 10 uncooked Italian sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (26 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 10 hoagie rolls
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage in oil and drain.
- Transfer to crock pot.
- Add the spaghetti sauce, peppers, water, cheese, oregano and basil.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Fill each hoagie roll with sausage, peppers and sauce.
Such an easy recipe to make, wonderfully versatile and SO delicious - and great for making some meals ahead for the freezer. :) I used MarraMamba's The Simplest Tomato Sauce Ever (Marcella Hazan), a mix of Italian sausages and gourmet chicken sausages and, as I'm always looking for opportunities to add these two ingredients, I added sliced mushrooms and garlic as well as adding some rosemary, sage and thyme to the oregano and basil. Love lots of herbs in dishes! Delicious! Not sure what a hoagie roll is, so we enjoyed ours in crispy ciabatta rolls. The other serves, we plan to eat with angel hair pasta. Thank you for sharing yet another yummy recipe, bmcnichol! Made for Gimme 5.
These are excellent. Everything you'd want in an Italian sausage sandwich. I used hot sausage and my own spaghetti sauce. An easy and delicious meal that everyone loves.
These are SUPER good, and so easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly and used Hunt's Spaghetti sauce in the can and sweet italian sausages. Everyone in the family loved these, including my 17 month old identical twin granddaughters. I will definitely make these again!