Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is one of my mom's recipes when she wanted to change things from just meat and potatoes all the time. I have adjusted this recipe after additional review.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce, like A1
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, the kind with green pepper already added
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice, soaked for 8 hours
- Place water, sausage and green onions in crock pot.
- Add steak sauce, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Stir in uncooked rice and tomatoes with juice.
- Cover and cook an additional 1 hour.
Your Mom's recipe is delicious, easy to make and a crock pot recipe is always good in hot or cold weather. The aroma is wonderful. I bought my Sausages from a butcher shop that I had not tried before and they were quite fatty-My advise is to know your sausage. I had to remove the fat with one of those defatting gizmos (not the fault of the recipe). All was well again. I found that 6 hours on low was fine. I used basmati rice (not instant or minute rice) that I had soaked all day in water. Added it and the tomatoes to cook for a final hour. The basmati soaked up the liquid and had a lovely flavor. Next time I may leave the sausages whole and cook the rice separately serving it with the lovely sauce & sausages over it. Either way it is a very easy tasty recipe thanks Bippie for posting it
This is an awesome recipe! Easy and so good!
This is so good for the few ingredients it requires. I did not have tomatoes with green peppers so I added about 1/4 cup chopped green peppers with a little over an hour to go. I added 1 3/4 instant the last 30 minutes. Turned out great. My DH loved it. Best part about it...it takes about 10 minutes to prep.