Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Lovely refreshing dessert. You can leave out the ginger if you are not a fan or serve it separately. Serve with whipped cream and/or ice cream or with custard. Can be made on the stove top too in less than half an hour. I never use cornstarch to thicken it, but feel free to do so.
- 907.18 g rhubarb, washed and cut in 1 inch pieces (cleaned weight)
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.32 ml caster sugar (approx, depends on the sourness of the rhubarb)
- 2 oranges, juice and rind of, grated
- 29.58 ml preserved ginger in syrup, very finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients in your crock pot and mix well.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours (my 3 quart crock pot takes 5 hours).
- Let it cool and then chill in the fridge until ready to serve, it will thicken somewhat when it is cooling and the flavors will mellow.
I sent DH to the store for rhubarb but neglected to tell him how much I needed. He returned with just two stalks. I cleaned, sliced and weighed them and found that they were exactly 1/4 of the recipe. So, I cut the rest of the ingredients down to match and made it on the stove. We ended up with about 1-1/2 cups of this beautiful, delicious sauce! Just perfect for topping a simple dessert of ice cream and sponge cake. DD (4yrs) wasn't a fan of the rhubarb, but the rest of us really enjoyed it. I love ginger in anything and this is no exception! I especially loved this new use for rhubarb, as I'm always on the lookout for something other than strawberry rhubarb pie or cobbler. I'm thankful Annelies took time to post this recipe and we will remember her fondly every time we make it. Made and enjoyed for the Cook-A-Thon in her memory.
This was fabulous - my rhubarb cooked to perfection and the ginger was fabulous in it.
I prepared this to accompany Recipe #258294. I loved the combination of orange and ginger and found this a refreshing alternative to using apples or berries with rhubarb. Since I was making a small batch, my huge crock pot seemed too much and I made this on the stove as suggested in the description.