Recipe by Shawn C
we served these at the restaurant and they were always a hit. We served them with our fresh Marinara sauce for dipping. Served immediately too. I haven't tried using string cheese but could be a easy switch and they are already a great shape and length to work with.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (season well)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in a length wise shape sorta like a sticks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup light cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- working with cold mashed potatoes helps to shape it better than freshly made potatoes.
- 1 cup potatoes per serving. evenly around cheese "stick" like a twinkie shape. place on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- freeze for up to an hour to firm up but you don't want it frozen completely through or the outside will cook faster than it takes to melt the cheese inside.
- i use my delonghi roto- fryer so that the food its always moving and i don't have to flip it! but you will want a deep type fryer so the roll can float.
- heat oil to around 350*.
- make batter in deep bowl, by mixing flour, milk, eggs, salt and pepper and parm cheese and basil.
- roll each potatoes roll around in the batter very quickly you only want a thin layer on it, let drain off mostly. roll in bread crumbs.
- fry until a deep golden brown, and serve sprinkled with a little more parm and a good helping of fresh marinara.