Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you like you can start with pruchased light popcorn or pop your own without butter for a show time treat thats reminiscent of the all time favorite popcorn balls. Best od all you'll never know that they have been lightened.
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (tub-style 50% to 70% vegetable oil spread)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 cups popped light popcorn
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat and stir the brown sugar, granulated sugar, vegetable oil spread, and salt over medium heat until just boiling and sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add popcorn and toss to coat.
- Spread coated popcorn in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer popcorn to a large piece of foil or a large roasting pan to cool.
I had the same problem with it covering all the popcorn. I had originally planned to 'half' it, but when I saw how little there was, I just halved the sugar, popcorn but still put in the 1/4 C butter in and it turned out excellent!! other than that, it was very easy! (and i don't like complicated recipes) I didn't put salt in it..as the popcorn had already been salted (leftovers, lol..;) and it still worked out great. thanx for posting!
This was so quick and easy to whip up! I am glad that everyone else in my family are not big caramel corn eaters!! I made a 1/3 batch because I didn't want to eat 12 servings (because I knew I would sit with the bag and eat and eat!) The only problem I had was it didn't seem to thin out enough to coat all the popcorn evenly, maybe needed a little more butter. It may have been my fault as well, I used real butter (all I had) and I know the margarine has a high water content so that may thin out the sugar/butter mixture. Either way it was really good! Sweet, crunchy and a touch of saltiness. I also loved that it only had to bake for 15 minutes! Will make again! Made for Photo Tag.
Best recipe I have tried for caramel popcorn. Make sure the sugar is well dissolved.