Recipe by Another cuppa?
Something worth trying at the weekends or for social occasions. Serve with either plain rice to cut the tanginess or a creamy mash as a winter warmer.
- 30 g butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 3 tablespoons salad cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 4 medium plaice fillets (fresh or defrosted)
- 75 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g bacon (chopped)
- 100 g cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 50 g mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- canned mushroom slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually blend in the milk and heat, stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the salad cream, lemon juice and seasoning. Place the fish in a shallow oven-proof dish (so that bottom of dish is covered).
- Pour over the sauce, sprinkle evenly with the mushrooms. Combine the breadcrumbs, bacon, cheese and onion and sprinkle on top of the mushrooms and sauce.
- Cook in a preheated oven (190°C/375°F) for 20 minutes, then place under a preheated grill for 2 minutes to brown the topping.
- Garnish with tomato slices.