Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
from today's ny times, courtesy of mark bittman
- 4 duck legs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 large onion 8ounces carrot
- 3 celery ribs
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put duck legs skin side down in a skillet large enough to accommodate all ingredients comfortably. Turn heat to medium, and cook, rotating so skin browns thoroughly and evenly but do not turn over completely. Meanwhile, peel onion and carrots, trim celery and roughly chop them all.
- When skins are nicely browned, turn and sear the meat side just 1 to 2 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate; remove all fat from pan except enough to moisten vegetables. Add vegetables and salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat, until they begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Return duck legs skin side up to pan, and add stock; it should come about halfway up the legs but not cover them. Turn heat to high, bring to boil and transfer to oven.
- Cook 30 minutes, and turn heat to 350 degrees. Cook undisturbed until duck is tender and liquid reduced, at least 30 minutes or a bit longer. Serve immediately, or let rest in a 200-degree oven for up to an hour.
Used the crock pot to cook these after searing them, which is one of my favorite ways to prepare them. I love how flaky and moist and delicious the meat comes out. I would love to try this in an Asian duck pancake dish - the possibility of uses are endless, really (besides just eating it plain).
We made this a few weeks ago, but I can't stop thinking about it, so I better write a review. It was so good. Really crispy. I smashed the vegetables into the remaining liquid with the back of a fork, and served the duck and sauce with polenta, which I think was the perfect accompaniment. The next night, we used the last of the sauce to dress fusilli -- it was to die for.
I had never had duck before and tried this recipe. Absolutely amazing! Loved it :) Definitely will keep duck in the normal rotation!