ZWT7 Pacific Islands. For the best results, fry only a few fritters at a time so that the oil temperature doesn't drop, as a constant high temperature keeps the tortillitas from absorbing excess oil. Even though the shrimp are minced, I recommend using small shrimp, which are more tender than large ones. From http://www.spain-recipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan, combine the shrimp with water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2As soon as the water starts to boil, quickly lift out the shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 3Scoop out 1 cup of the cooking water and let cool.
- 4Discard the remaining water.
- 5When the shrimp are cool, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 6To make the batter, combine the flour, parsley, scallions and pimentón in a bowl or a food processor. Add a pinch of salt and the cooled cooking water.
- 7Mix or process well until you obtain a texture slightly thicker than a pancake batter.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 9Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator and mince finely. The pieces should be the size of coffee grounds.
- 10Remove the batter from the refrigerator, add the shrimp, and mix well.
- 11Pour the olive oil to a depth of about 1 inch into a heavy sauté pan and heat over high heat until it is almost smoking.
- 12Add 1 tablespoon of the batter to the oil for each fritter and, using the back of the spoon, immediately flatten the batter into a round 3 1/2 inches in diameter. *Do not crowd the pan.
- 13Fry, turning once, for about 1 minute on each side, or until the fritters are golden and very crisp with what Spanish cooks call puntillas, or lacelike formations, on the borders.
- 14Using a slotted spoon, lift out the fritters, holding them briefly over the pan to allow the excess oil to drain, and transfer to an ovenproof platter lined with paper towels to drain further.
- 15Keep the fritters warm in a low oven.
- 16Fry the rest of the batter in the same way, always making sure the oil is very hot before frying more fritters.
- 17When all the fritters are fried, arrange them on a platter and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crisp Shrimp Pakora/Bhaji (Fritters)
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.7 mg
- Sodium 216.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g