Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Celery cabbage is an old term for Chinese cabbage. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 quart Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Cover Chinese cabbage with boiling water and cook for about ten minutes or until tender; drain very well.
- Melt butter; add onions and peppers and cook slowly for about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and heat to the boiling point.
- Add cabbage, salt and pepper; pour into a baking dish, cover and bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Being a northerner, I'm not sure what constitutes "creole." This was tasty, but rather bland. I don't like to modify a recipe the first time it is tried, but this dish definitely needs some kind of spices to jazz it up. It has great potential, depending on an individual's spice preferences.