Recipe by HazelAllingham
Delicious Marzipan sponges filled with butter cream and partly covered in gorgeous dark chocolate.
- 225 g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g softened butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 ounces margarine
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (454 g) package marzipan
- good quality dark chocolate, to dip ends in to decorate
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease lined tin with butter.
- Sift flour and baking powder into processor and add all other ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and stop to scrape down the sides.
- Mix again until smooth, then pour into the prepared tin and sperad evenly with a knife.
- Bake at 160°C for around 1 hour.
- Remove cake from the tin and set aside to cool on a wire grid.
- When the cake is completely cooled, cut into lengths and set aside.
- Mix sugar and butter for creme, together in a bowl and set aside.
- Roll out Marzipan to about 1-2 mm thick and lay 1 strip of sponge on top.
- Spread a little creme mix on top of sponge and roll onto the marzipan to completely cover sponge (ensure that the edge of marzipan is on the bottom, to avoid seam-lines!).
- When covered all strips of sponge in the same way, vut into individual cakes of about 1-2inches long.
- Set aside and melt the dark chocolate in the microwave.
- Dip ends of cakes in dark chocolate and drizzle on centre if desired.
- Leave on wire tray to cool and then ENJOY!