Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't like plain tomato soup, but there's nothing plain about this one and it's delicious. Great for dinner parties, or just something a little different at lunch or dinner.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (If you like a spicier taste, use Rotel)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- croutons (optional) or bagel chips, shredded cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Top each serving with croutons and/or shredded cheese (if desired).
- Serve immediately.
This is so simple and so good..... I made it for lunch and did'nt get enough,everyone wanted another bowl. It is worth it
I do love plain tomaoto soup, but I love this, too! I used reduced fat cream cheese and skim milk and it was still super creamy and wonderful. I thought it was perfectly seasoned, too. I didn't use any croutons; just some fresh ground pepper in top. Mmmmm.... Thanx!
This was fab-u-lous! I don't think I'll ever be able to eat plain tomato soup from a can again. I only used about 1/4 of an onion, though, and I added some minced garlic to sautee with the onions. I used an immersion blender at the end in an attempt to hide the tomatoes and onions from my daughter. It was super smooth and creamy. Delicious. I served it with a shredded italian cheese blend, garlic and cheese croutons and a toasty French baguette (great for dipping in your soup). This is definitely a keeper and made for a quick, easy but filling meal on a cold, cold day. Thanks for such a great recipe!