Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Sarah Ainley’s book, The World’s Best Recipes, Caribbean section. “A smooth and luscious soup, so easy that you will make it with delight, over and over.” You may also use frozen spinach; if you’d like to substitute milk for the cream, use half stock and half milk.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup coconut cream
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups light cream
- black pepper, freshly ground
- fresh chives, chopped, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a moderate heat and sauté the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the spinach, cover the pan and cook gently for 10 minutes, until the spinach wilts.
- Pour the spinach mixture into a blender or food processor and add a little of the stock. Blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to the pan and add the remaining stock, coconut cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Add the cream, stir well and heat through without bringing to a boil. Serve hot, garnished with chives.