Recipe by Erin K. Brown
By far the best mac & cheese I have ever had. Slightly adapted from “Macaroni and Lots of Cheese,” by Julia Moskin, The New York Times, 4 January 2006
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not low fat)
- 2 cups milk (also not low fat)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese (sharp or extra sharp)
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup pastrami (cooked) (optional)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- 1 cup broccoli (optional)
- 1 cup soybeans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use 1 Tbsp butter to grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine cottage cheese, milk, and seasonings in the blender (or food processor) or by hand.
- Mix noodles, milk mixture, and all but 1 cup of the grated cheddar together.
- Add any optional ingredients in and mix.
- Pour into greased baking pan.
- Cover with foil; bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, stir, top with remaining cheddar, bake 30 more minutes uncovered.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving (or burn your mouth).
- Easily doubles in a 9x13 pan.