1 hr 30 mins
Erin K. Brown's Note:
By far the best mac & cheese I have ever had. Slightly adapted from “Macaroni and Lots of Cheese,” by Julia Moskin, The New York Times, 4 January 2006
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not low fat)
- 2 cups milk (also not low fat)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese (sharp or extra sharp)
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- 1/2 cup pastrami (cooked) (optional)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- 1 cup broccoli (optional)
- 1 cup soybeans (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Use 1 Tbsp butter to grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- 3Combine cottage cheese, milk, and seasonings in the blender (or food processor) or by hand.
- 4Mix noodles, milk mixture, and all but 1 cup of the grated cheddar together.
- 5Add any optional ingredients in and mix.
- 6Pour into greased baking pan.
- 7Cover with foil; bake for 30 minutes.
- 8Remove foil, stir, top with remaining cheddar, bake 30 more minutes uncovered.
- 9Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving (or burn your mouth).
- 10Easily doubles in a 9x13 pan.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.8
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 101.1 mg
- Sodium 859.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 28.3 g