Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken from USA weekend 8/14/2012. This macaroni and cheese incorporates a vegetable puree that adds creaminess and enhances the dish's signature orange color.
- cooking spray
- 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen pureed winter squash
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2⁄3 cup grated monterey jack cheese (2 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a 9- by 13- inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain and transfer to baking dish.
- Place frozen squash and milk in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it's defrosted.
- Turn heat up to medium and cook until mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheddar, Jack cheese, ricotta, salt, mustard and cayenne and stir.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and oil in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake until the cheeses are bubbling around the edges, about 20 mins, then broil for 3 mins so the top is crisp and nicely browned.