Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from a food magazine. Tastes great, easy to make, and affordable for anyone.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- Add cream sauce and mix well.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
I found this recipe to be a bit sticky for my tastes. The taste was fine, but the texture put me off a bit. It does reheat, well, though. Thank you for posting!
I use this same recipe at my house. It is delicious and the only one my husband craves! I like to melt a little butter and mix it with italian bread crumbs to make a crunchy topping. I also add 1/2 cup more milk as I think it can get too thick otherwise :-)
I made this last night to give it a try and it was very good. It was a bit more work than my usual mac & cheese recipe. Everyone ate this great but my regular is a bit easier and a bit creamier but I thank you this was the first baked mac & cheese I've tried.