Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a delicious, easy, homemade mac & cheese recipe. I originally found it on a freezer-cooking website. But I could never freeze any of it - it gets eaten too fast! It's great for potlucks; kids and adults all love it.
- 1 lb macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- Cook macaroni on the stove top per package directions.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the powdered milk in the fluid milk (this will be easier if the milk is warm - but it's not necessary - it's OK if a small amount of powdered milk is not completely dissolved).
- Combine the milk mixture with the cheese soup and grated cheese in the crock pot. When the macaroni is done, drain and add it to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low setting for 2 1/2 hours.
This turned out wonderfully. I did sub in a bit of half-and-half for some of the milk to make it creamier and had to add another 1/2 cup of milk after 2 hours of cook time. It was finished in 3 hours perfectly. The one thing I've found with crockpot pasta is using the largest/thickest noodles possible as they tend not to overcook as easily as say a macaroni noodle. I used a thick rigged macaroni noodle in this recipe and was not disappointed as it turned out creamy and good. I did add some pepper to give it a bit of kick from the beginning and skipped on the dry milk because I did not have any on hand. Great crock pot meal.
This was easy to make, but very bland. We ended up adding extra cheese and it still lacked flavor. It also really wasn't very creamy. I think if I were to make this again I would substitute evaporated milk for the powdered milk like another reviewer did.
This was very easy and creamy when it was first ready. Took to a potluck and unfortunately the rest of the meal was a good hour behind so it got a little thick. I subbed evaporated milk and used mild cheddar (it's what I had). Next time I will either use the sharp cheddar or add a little spice it was a bit bland.