Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had leftover cooked wheat berry combo and threw this together for lunch. Turned out really flavorful and I liked the chewiness of the grains. I didn't measure any ingredients, so I hope this turns out! If you need to cook your berries, use Mixed Grains. It makes about 6 cups, but you can freeze leftovers.
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (or combo of whole grains) or 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 cups leftover chicken, shredded
- 1 cup cooked mixed vegetables
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk, plus more
- skim milk, if needed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
This recipe came together so quickly & was on the table in almost no time at all! I'd made Mixed Grains #176290 the day before & now have some left over for making this great tasting dish again ~ The mixed grains might just be a nice new substitution for the brown rice that we've always like so much! One small change ~ When garlic, salt & pepper are part of the recipe, I usually substitute lemon pepper for the S&P, which I did here! This time around I did make this with left over turkey, but during the year I always have shredded, cooked chicken breast in the freezer! Thanks for a wonderful keeper! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]