Recipe by Ravenseyes
This soup was inspired by my co-workers love for the Panera's Cream of Chicken and Rice soup - I made my take of it and she loved it so here it is for all of you! A little healthier in that it doesn't have any heavy cream.
Top Review by Susiecat too
This was a delicious and comforting soup on a cold and blustery day. Like the other reviewers, I also made a few changes. I had some cooked shredded chicken and some steamed brown rice left over. I made some wild rice separately and added it. I followed along the recipe for the onion/carrot/celery/garlic and added only frozen corn. Since Ravensyes (Verna) told me the rice mix was seasoned with cumin and coriander, I added about 2 tsp of each spice to my sauteed vegetables just prior to adding the chicken and water. I made my roux with olive oil (instead of butter) and flour and then added some water to make it into a gravy. I added that to the soup, and then to make it creamy I added a can of coconut milk. In this way, my soup had no dairy ingredients. We liked this soup a lot, and I will probably make it again soon. Thanks, Ravenseyes!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken (breast with bone in works beast and a "little" skin)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 14 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground)
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 ounces long grain and wild rice blend (Carolina seasoned Long Grain and wild rice)
- 14 3⁄4 ounces creamed corn
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream (fat free half & half)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot over high heat add 1 tbsp olive oil - season the chicken breasts with fresh pepper and sea salt, place into the pot and brown on all sides, approximately 10 minutes total.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and bay leaves. Season.
- Add 14 cups water and lower heat to medium. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from soup, debone meat and chop into cubes and return to soup.
- Add 3 pkgs of the Carolina wild & long grain rice seasoned (this equals 14 oz), can of cream corn, and corn. Slow cook for 30 minutes.
- In a small pot melt butter, add salt, pepper and flour, slowly ladle in soup of the soup stock - add cream and return to the soup pot. Cook for 10 minutes at medium high heat to bring to a boil. Stir frequently . Serve with a nice crusty bread! Enjoy.