Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sister and I wanted to try a new twist on macaroni and cheese but could not find exactly what we were looking for, so we came up with our own version. It features sharp blue cheese, mellow onion and a creamy white sauce. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we did!
- 250 g pasta (I used cavatelli, but macaroni or penne would be great, too)
- 4.92 ml oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 200 g non-fat non-dairy creamer (I used a rice cream, but regular should be fine) or 200 g cream (I used a rice cream, but regular should be fine)
- 100 g cream cheese (I used low-fat)
- 50 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 88.74 ml pasta water (reserve this from the pasta cooking water)
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml dried sage
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 0.59 ml paprika
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 0.59 ml chili powder
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 g gouda cheese, grated
- Boil pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain, reserving 6 tablespoons of the water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan and saute onion in it until lightly browned.
- Add cream, cream cheese and blue cheese. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Add the 6 tablespoons of reserved pasta water.
- Season with nutmeg, sage, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. You may adjust seasonings to taste.
- Mix together pasta and sauce and pour into a casserole dish (mine was about 9X13 inches).
- Sprinkle with gouda and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and nicely browned.
Cheese cheese and more cheese, wow, this was fabulous! I love blue cheese, I used regular cream by the way, and this is just comfort food deluxe. Rich, creamy, with a tangy taste that keeps you coming back for more, loved it!! Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe :) Made for PRMR tag game.