1/1 Photo of Creamy Beet Soup Without All the Cream
Lorraine of AZ's Note:
This is a vibrant color of soup, deep crimson-red as only beets can be. And the taste is pure beet. The creaminess of this soup comes from the potato that is cooked with the beets -- there is no cream at all in the soup so the calorie count is light. I've eaten this hot, but it would be equally good cold, which would make it a wonderful soup for summer. Recipe from Cooking Light which calls this a "rich velvety soup which is a mild version of borscht -- without the cabbage."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 beets, peeled and halved (I quartered mine)
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and halved crosswise (I quartered mine)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream (I used 3 tablespoons)
- 1Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- 2Add broth and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until the beets and potato are tender. Be sure to discard bay leaf at this point.
- 3Puree mixture using an immersion blender. You may also use a blender or food processor, being sure to process in 3 batches. The blender will probably give the smoothest results, but I thought the immersion blender gave satisfactory results (plus was easy to use). Return pureed mixture to the pot if necessary. Warm soup over low heat 5 minutes. Remove and stir in lemon juice.
- 4Remove 1/2 cup of the soup and transfer this into a small bowl. Combine it with the sour cream, stirring with a whisk.
- 5Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top each serving with one tablespoon of the sour cream mixture. Using the tip of a knife, swirl the sour cream, making a pretty design.
- 6This recipe makes 8 servings (3/4 cup each) at 74 calories.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Beet Soup Without All the Cream
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.2
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 201.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g