You've never had baked apples like this before! This is an old family recipe that is 'required' at Thanksgiving but eaten all year round.
- Peel& core apples, cut in eights.
- (I use my apple corer/slicer and then just peel the slices) Place in a baking dish, and dot with butter.
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake in microwave on HIGH for about 10 minutes or until fork inserts easily, stirring at least once.
- Remove from microwave and set aside.
- In saucepan bring flour, sugar and milk to a boil over medium heat (it will be thick) stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir well.
- Pour over apples and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg if you desire.
- Serve hot or let cool some.
I was looking for a different bedtime snack for my daughters, when I found this recipe I knew it would be perfect. Both girls loved it! I used Gala apples & forgot to use the butter, but it turned out great! We topped it with ice cream. Will definitely be making this again.
This is an amazing recipe! I made it for vegetarian night and everyone loved it! :) I used vanilla extract and added a bit of vanilla sugar as well for even stronger vanilla flavor. It is also possible to substitute butter with margarine and milk with soya milk for vegans and it still works perfectly :) Thanks a lot Marg!
Marg, thanks for the great recipe! I found this on your Thanskgiving Menu and added to mine for an early Thanksgiving dinner. Followed exactly except reduced the cook time of the apples to 5 minutes because my microwave is pretty high-powered. Also had some Penzey's Vanilla Sugar we added to the cinnamon sugar mixture for extra touch. I may add a pat of real butter to the sauce next time for extra richness, or a couple teaspoons of amaretto or rum would be good too! Excellent recipe and would make a great breakfast side too!