Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oh how I love this comfort food. This has been a staple piece in my diet since I was a little girl- It makes me happy.... Best on a cold winter night!
- 6 ounces light chunk tuna in water, drained (make sure it's not chunk 'white')
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- Melt butter over med heat in small sauce pan.
- Add flour slowly, stirring constantly until well combined (it should form a smooth paste with no balls of flour still hidden).
- Add milk slowly, stirring in between each addition till all is smooth and not curdled looking.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Lastly, add the tuna fish and bring to a low boil. If sauce is too thick for your liking, add more milk -- too thin, add more flour.
- *sauce will thicken a bit as it simmers*.
- I like to add more pepper- towards the 1/2 teaspoons mark- but add to your liking.
- Toast 6 slices of bread in toaster, immediately upon removing from toaster put a large spoonful of tuna mixture on top of toast and spread evenly over top.
- Grate desired amount of cheese on top and serve!
Fantastic!!! We used boiled pollock instead of tuna. Worked great. Will definately try it with tuna. Thanks so much for this fabulous recipe. I think this would work great with chip beef.
Can I give it more then 5 stars PLEASE??? 5 kids and DH loved it.... even the picky ones!! Thanks so much for posting! We all love SOS, but I never would have thought to do a tuna version :D
Absolutely delicious, a fantastic comfort food and very quick. Took me ten minutes at the absolute most. I added a little garlic because i love how garlic and tuna go together. Good additions could also be gently cooked onion or some parsley and chives. Next time i intend to add some mushrooms to bulk it out a bit more and for a change.