Prep 5 mins
Cook 11 mins
Lovely Popeye food!! evolved from Cooking light.
- 18 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots or 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup tub style light cream cheese, softened
- Rinse the spinach with cold water, drain.
- Place a large dutch oven over medium heat, add spinach.
- (Spinach will need to be tightly packed into the pan to cook all of it in one batch.) Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring well after 2 minutes.
- Place spinach in a colander, and drain well, pressing the spinach with the back of a spoon to remove as much moisture a possible.
- Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon salt, add to pan, stirring well.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add milk and cheese, stirring with a whisk, cook for 1 minute or until thick.
- Add spinach, and cook for 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated.
This was good. I made this exactly as instructed except I did not have light cream cheese so I used regular cream cheese. Thanks for the post.
I also used frozen spinach and it turned out fine. Next time I'll have to try fresh. I think the nutmeg is key. It adds great flavor. Definitely a keeper!
Simpley Fantastic! I used 2 boxes of chopped frozen spinch and also regular cream cheese as that I what I had on hand. I also omitted the shallots and added frozen pearl onions. This side dish went so well with our steaks.