Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Peel the cucumbers if waxed.
- Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Cut them into 3/4 inch chunks.
- If the cucumbers are not super-firm, place the chunks in a colander and sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of salt. Shake to distribute the salt and let them drain for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse and dry.
- If the cucumbers are already firm, proceed with the recipe. Place butter in a medium to large skillet over medium heat. When it melts, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Do not let the onion brown.
- Add the cucumbers and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, until the cucumbers are just tender.
- Add pepper and, if you did not salt them earlier, salt. Turn heat to low, then stir in the cream or yogurt and a good handful of dill.
- Stir until well blended, then serve, garnished with more dill.
This was unique, and very good! I used plain yogurt and dried dill, which was a wonderful flavour enhancer. The cucumbers I used were very firm, so I didn't need 1 tablespoon salt, only around 1/2 teaspoon. I cooked the cukes for about 10 minutes. This recipe made 2 large side dish servings.