Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I hated cooked cabbage when I first tasted this years ago, but then asked in delight, "What is this?" I was hooked! I've been serving it ever since. It's wonderful with pork roast and Waldorf salad. Hope you all enjoy.
- Cook cabbage in 1 quart. of boiling water with 1 t. salt for 7-8 minutes. (Include onion, if using).
- In separate pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Remove from heat; blend in cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Gradually blend in milk; cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and comes to a boil.
- Drain cabbage well.
- Arrange layers of cabbage, walnuts, sauce and cheese in layers in greased 1 1/2-2 quart casserole, ending with layer of cheese.
- You can also add a cup of diced corned beef or pastrami for a wonderful change.
- Bake at 450F 15-20 minutes.
I was looking for a recipe to go with some smoked pork chops I bought at the butcher and this intrigued me. It was WONDERFUL! I used a medium onion since I really like onions, 2% milk, and guessed at the walnuts. I served it with baked apples and our guests all begged for the recipe. I think I added a tad more Swiss cheese as well. I'll make this many more times. Thanks for a great recipe Judikins!!