Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Looking for a gluten free cream soup? This is one of the easiest I have found. With this you can add mushrooms for a cream of mushroom, chicken for cream of chicken, and the list goes on. I have also used this to make a sausage gravy which is "fantastic" in the words of my grandson. The recipe came from glutenfreehomemaker.com
- 1 cup cold milk or 1 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour or 3 tablespoons rice flour or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon cube, be sure its gluten free
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste depending on how the soup will be used and how salty your bouillon is)
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- I have always used sweet rice flour in this recipe, but if you don’t have any on hand, cornstarch will work. Either one should be whisked into the cold milk in a saucepan.
- Add the remaining ingredients and heat to a boil while whisking frequently. Reduce heat and simmer about a minute until thickened.
- Use this soup in recipes in place of one can of creamed soup.
- Add 1/2 Celsius chopped chicken, cooked or canned mushrooms, or cooked celery.
- You could also make it less creamy and more gravy like by using chicken or mushroom broth in place of the milk and omitting the bouillon.
Great! I used almond milk, and it worked really well and was delicious with chicken and broccoli. I also used sweet rice flour, and dairy free, non-hydrogenated organic margarine. This is a keeper! Thanks for sharing :)<br/>Made for PAC Spring 2014