Recipe by Orringuy
Nice warm and easy fennel soup
Top Review by *Parsley*
I loved this soup! It is simple, but with with fennel, you really don't need lots of other flavors. I made this as written, and did the partial puree. The egg yolk and flour thicken this just perfectly without making it too rich or thick. I used the fennel leaves for a pretty garnish. Thanx for sharing!
- 1 lb fennel bulb, with 1 inch stalk (up to 1 1/2)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, and trim and cut fennel into quarters, reserving any feathery upper leaves to garnish the soup.
- Then, finely slice or dice, discarding the cores.
- Mince the onion.
- Melt the buttter in a 4 quart saucepan and slowly saute fennel and onion untill wilted and soft, approx 15 minute.
- Sprinkle on flour stirring cook 3-4 minute
- Then add chicken stock and whisk to remove lumps.
- Bring to a boil. reduce heat simmer 15-20 minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolk and cream. Gradually add small amounts to the hot soup to the egg mixture to warm.
- Then slowly add the egg mixture to the soup whisking constantly.
- Heat without boiling and season with Salt/Pepper to taste.
- Garnish with minced fennel leaves.
- For a smoother textrue, puree the soup before adding egg mixture.