Recipe by Dib's
This recipe posted in honor of "We are Family!" ;-)
Top Review by Janice
If you like cilantro, this soup is for you. It is very similar to a top rated recipe from Southern Living magazine so I thought I would try it. This soup is really good, my whole family loved it and it was easy to make. This recipe is a keeper!!! The only thing I would change is I would grind the cilantro - with the garlic - in the blender instead of the food processor to make it a little more smooth.
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, take 1 bunch and wash,stems removed and leaves chopped (Remove 6 T. from the other bunch to set aside for garnish)
- 1 (32 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth or 1 (32 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese or 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- sour cream
- 6 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor puree the cilantro with 1 cup of the broth, and blend to smooth.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat and whisk in the flour.
- Slowly add the remaining broth, whisking to smooth.
- Boil, while whisking, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cream cheese, cilantro mixture, sour cream, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and offer garnishes at the table.