1 hr 20 mins
Posted by request...This recipe is from THE PANERA BREAD COOKBOOK: Breadmaking Essentials and Recipes from America's Favorite Bakery-Cafe by the Panera Bread Team. Recipes by Ward Bradshaw and Joel Cammett. © 2004 by Panera Bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 quarts water
- 8 whole artichokes
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 7 cups vegetable stock or 7 cups chicken stock
- 6 slices panera's country bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup fresh chervil, packed
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Bring the water to a boil in an 8-quart pot.
- 2Trim the top third off each artichoke and discard, along with the stems. The bottom two-thirds of each artichoke should remain in tact.
- 3Set 2 artichoke bottoms aside, quarter the other 6 artichoke bottoms and toss with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- 4Transfer quartered artichokes, lemon juice, and oil to the water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain artichokes.
- 5Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a 4-quart pot and add the cooked artichokes.
- 6Stir them over low heat for about 10 minutes, be careful not to let the butter burn.
- 7Pour in the stock and boil for 20 minutes.
- 8Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Dip the bread slices into the melted butter and sauté over medium heat until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- 9Add the cooked bread to the pot with the artichokes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 10Remove from heat and add the cream.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Puree the soup in a food processor, then run it through a food mill until smooth.
- 13Cool 1-1/2 cups of soup in the freezer.
- 14Puree the chervil in the chilled soup (make sure the soup is cold before you puree the chervil, because if it is hot, the chervil will turn brown).
- 15Heat the chervil mixture to 200ºF.
- 16Thinly slice the reserved artichoke bottoms and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 17Drain on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- 18Evenly distribute the hot soup among 8 bowls. Drizzle the chervil mixture over the soup and garnish with the fried artichokes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Artichoke Soup With Chervil and Fried Artichokes
Serving Size: 1 (703 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.4
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 435.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: