Recipe by Mirj
I found this in a local newspaper. I tried it out on a night when my teenage daughters had a house full of friends over for a movie. I managed to grab a piece before the dish was grabbed and the bars inhaled. Delicious!
Top Review by silver_rainbow
Okay, this was just divine! I love anything sour, including lemons. If someone says "Go suck a lemon," I take them seriously! :-) The crusts were fairly easy to make, even though I've only made a few. I guess that shows I'm getting better. (Pretty soon I'll be a professional! ;-) LOL!) There was no lemon peel in the fridge, so I used lime peel, which gave it a speckled look, but it still tasted fine. I cut it into bars about one inch square, because it was so rich. (Mmmmmmmm!) Thanks, Mirj!
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats or 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 9 x 9-inch square pan.
- Mix milk, lemon peel and lemon juice until thickened.
- Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbly mixture in pan.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until set.
- Spread milk mixture over baked layer.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture on milk mixture.
- Press gently into milk mixture.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until edge is golden brown and center is set but soft.
- Cool completely.