Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Southern Living. I just made it for the first time and YUM! I used lighter ingredients so that's what I am indicating here--feel free to use the full fat stuff as you wish:)
- 1 (16 ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Smart Balance butter spread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry active yeast (or 2 packets)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 -6 1⁄2 cups bread flour (mine took only 5 1/2)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- purple- green-, and gold-tinted sparkling sugar candy sprinkles
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until butter melts. Set aside, and cool mixture to 100° to 110°.
- Stir together yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat sour cream mixture, yeast mixture, eggs, and 2 cups flour at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until smooth. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add enough remaining flour (4 to 4 1/2 cups) until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, and divide in half. Roll each portion into a 22- x 12-inch rectangle. Beat 3/4 cup sugar, cream cheese, 1 egg, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on each dough rectangle, leaving 1-inch borders.
- Roll up each dough rectangle, jelly-roll fashion, starting at 1 long side. Place one dough roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bring ends of roll together to form an oval ring, moistening and pinching edges together to seal. Repeat with second dough roll.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden. Slightly cool cakes on pans on wire racks (about 10 minutes).
- For Glaze: Stir together Smart Balance through vanilla. Stir in 2 tablespoons milk, adding additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until spreading consistency.
- Sprinkle decorating sugar on top of glaze in bands, if desired.