Recipe by FloridaNative
I wanted to create a tropical dessert using 5 of the 21 contest ingredients. This dessert is light and tasty, and the juices from the fruit add a tangy sweetness that does not require sugar. Toasted coconut and almonds add a bit of extra texture. This dessert has 3 main ingredient combos - a fruit mixture, a flour mixture and a topping mixture. Great ending to a picnic or bar-b-que with friends. Enjoy!
Top Review by bill mayes
Very good. The flavors blend nicely ane the smell is wonderful.. Prep time is more than stated, maybe an extra 10 minutes. Next time I will cut the orange marmalade by 1/3 an use only a couple teaspoons of sugar..Other than I will do this again soon.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, with juice
- 2 cups chopped apples, any variety, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup almond flour or 1⁄3 cup meal
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour or 2⁄3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold, cut into pats, set aside
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup toasted coconut
- 3⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup organic unbleached cane sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly spray a 6-quart crockpot with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple, apples, marmalade, coconut extract and apple cider. Stir to blend well. Pour mixture into prepared crockpot.
- Combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon and orange peel in another bowl.
- Whisk dry ingredients together to blend well. Spread flour mixture over top of the fruit mixture in the crockpot.
- Spread cut butter pats over top of flour mixture, to evenly cover area.
- Combine oatmeal, toasted coconut, almonds and sugar (if used) in a bowl. Mix ingredients together until blended. Sprinkle evenly over top of flour/butter layer.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW setting for 4-6 hours. DO NOT lift the lid for the first 3 hours of cooking.
- Serve warm. Add ice cream, flavored frozen yogurt, or fruit flavored sorbet for an extra twist on this tropical delight.