Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was a HUGE hit for Christmas breakfast!! VERY yummy!!! Even my picky sister loved it!!! I got the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
- 3 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1⁄2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange juice
- In large bowl mix 1 cup of flour and yeast, set aside.
- In small saucepan, heat and stir milk, 2 TBS of sugar, 2 TBS butter, and 1/2 tsp salt until warm 120-130 degrees.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and add egg.
- Beat with mixer on low to medium for 30 seconds.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in as much of the remaining flour as possible.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes total).
- Shape dough into ball.
- Place into greased bowl, turning once.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- Meanwhile for filling, in small bowl stir together cranberries, sugar, pecans and spice and set aside.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll dough into 14 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Spread filling over dough.
- Starting from long side, roll dough into spiral.
- Seal seam.
- Placing seam side down, cut roll in half lengthwise.
- Place cut sides up, side by side on prepared baking sheet.
- Loosely twist halves together, keeping cut sides facing up.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. (if necessary cover loosely with foil last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning).
- Remove from baking sheet and cook on wire rack.
- Drizzle with icing when cooled.
- To make orange icing:.
- Stir together powdered sugar and orange juice to make icing drizzling consistency.