Recipe by LibraryMan
This pie is made every year by my sister-in-law (a fabulous cook!). It is possible she got this recipe from somewhere else, but I don't know where. But it's so good, I wanted to make sure it was captured properly. (And this way I don't have to keep track of the paper copy.)
Top Review by Darkhunter
Enjoyed the marriage of cranberries and pears in this recipe. Any excess filling was promptly eaten by moi! The topping was a little floury to my taste, so added some extra butter. Will be making this again. Thnx for sharing, LibraryMan. Made for PAC Spring 2010. You've been adopted! http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups pears, thinly sliced, peeled
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1 pastry shells, 9-inch, unbaked
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cranberries in 1/3 cup water for 15 minutes, or until skins pop.
- Add the 1 cup sugar; cook until sugar dissolves.
- Combine pears, cranberry mixture, and orange peel.
- Fill pastry shell with mixture.
- Combine flour, the 1/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the top of the pie, covering edge with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.